Talk of the Town
What is Talk of the Town?
Talk of the Town is a national research project aimed at improving children's speech, language and communication skills. These skills are really important for improving understanding during lessons, for helping to read and write, for learning new words and for making friends.
Key aims of Talk of the Town
- Early identification of children and young people with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN)
- Joint working between parents and practitioners across health and education
- Positive outcomes for children and young people with improved speech, language and communication skills
- A sustainable approach, so that policy and practice continues to support positive outcomes
Key principles of Talk of the Town
- Building on current practice
- Ensuring workforce development around speech, language and communication
- Embedding evidenced interventions and approaches
- Evaluating outcomes
- Local leadership owning and driving change
- Sharing universal good practice, targeted and specialist support