Please Click on the link below to view our School Equality Scheme
School Equality Scheme
Equality and Diversity
The Leys is an inclusive school where we focus on the well-being and progress of every child and where all members of our community are of equal worth.
We believe that the Equality Act provides a framework to support our commitment to valuing diversity, tackling discrimination, promoting equality and fostering good relationships between people. It also ensures that we continue to tackle issues of disadvantage and underachievement of different groups.
We recognise that these duties reflect international human rights standards as expressed in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, the UN Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities, and the Human Rights Act 1998.
Our approach to equality is based on the following 7 key principles:
1. All learners are of equal value.
2. We recognise, respect and value difference and understand that diversity is a strength.
3. We foster positive attitudes and relationships.
4. We foster a shared sense of cohesion and belonging.
5. We observe good equalities practice for our staff.
6. We have the highest expectations of all our children.
7. We work to raise standards for all pupils, but especially for the most vulnerable.
We believe that improving the quality of education for the most vulnerable groups of pupils raises standards across the whole school.