The role of the school governor is demanding but very rewarding and is a good way to give back to your local community. School governing bodies are responsible for working with the school to ensure that it delivers a good quality education. Together with the headteacher, who is responsible for day-to-day management, they set the school's aims and policies.
Key roles of governors:
• To ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
• To hold the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
• To oversee the financial performance of the school and make sure its money is well spent
They also carry out a number of other important duties, which include:
• Determining how the school's budget is spent
• Hearing appeals and grievances
• Forming policy on the school's curriculum and collective worship
• Setting standards for pupils' behaviour and discipline
• Making sure school buildings are welcoming and safe
• Setting and monitoring the school's aims and policies
Who can be a school governor?
You don't have to have children at the school to be a governor. However, you do have to be over 18, and pass a formal check for your suitability to be within a school. No specific qualifications are required but there are certain expectations.
What's really important is that you have the skills, time and commitment to help drive school improvement and the passion and ambition to achieve the best possible education for children and young people.
Effective governance will include these core features:
• Commitment to ongoing development and to getting to know the school well, including effective induction.
• Commitment to playing an active part whilst working as part of a team.
• Ability to provide robust challenge and hold school leaders to account whilst listening to and respecting the views of others.
• Focus on a strategic role rather than involvement in operational matters
Ripon Road, Stevenage, Herts, SG1 4QZ.
Copyright © 2019 - The Leys Primary & Nursery School
Headteacher: Ms Leigh Humphries
Chair of Governors: Mr Phil Bibby